Andrew Pochatko Managing Director
Retail Strategies & Solutions

Making Money by Making Sense

Contact Us at retail.strategies.solutions@gmail.com


Sign up now for our weekly newsletter covering ideas and solutions for retail,
convenience and service industries.
http://eepurl.com/i4e1P


Sunday, February 13, 2011

Value in Retail Settings

Value:  Added or Eroded?

Many years ago I was taught to review each day when I laid down at night to see what I could have done better. What could I have done to have a better outcome that day?  Now looking back on all the days I have spent in retail, I wonder how many of us could benefit from this exercise.  What could we have been done better to achieve the goals we set out for the day?  How could we have made one of our team members a better person or a more completely rounded employee?  How about our significant other?  Have we spent time with our emotional bank account as Stephen Covey states so well in his management classic, “Seven Habits of Highly Effective People”?  Many of the management books on the market today have been the latest greatest trend at one time or another.   Management by Objective, Management by Wandering Around, Walk the Talk, Who Moved the Cheese, Herding Cats and how many more have wandered through our shelves.  All the time, looking to see how we can add value. Add value to our customers, add value to our team members, and add value to our owners and board.

So how do we measure this “value” we are trying to create?  Where is the metric we need to use and who determines it?  What is your strategic plan to measure your strategic plan?  Many of today’s management books deal with character and tend to be a little light on behavior and those that do have behavior struggle on tying it to a metric. More to come with the next post…

No comments:

Post a Comment